12.10.2011

Thank You God

I often tell Violet the story of her adoption.  It's simple, and suited for her two year old ears.  It will become more comprehensive as she grows up.  For now, it goes like this.

"Violet, I love you so much.  I'm so HAPPY that we adopted you and that now, you are my baby girl.  Did you know that God made you JUST for me?  He said, 'I know, I'll make Mommy the best present ever.  I'll make her a VIOLET to make her heart happy.'  And he made her with beautiful eyes... and a perfect nose... and a gorgeous smile... and fabulous hair... and silly belly button..." (because, really, what good is a story without a little tickling?!) "And then Violet needed a family who could take care of her, and Mommy saw a picture of baby Violet.  And then Mommy said, 'Oh can I have her PLEEEEASE!!???  She is perfect!!!' and God said, 'Will you promise to take care of her and come all the way to Africa to get her?' And Mommy said, 'Yes! Yes! Yes!' and she also said, 'Oh THANK YOU Jesus for such a perfect little girl.'"

Then I squeeze her (probably too tightly) and say that I won't share her with anyone.  And after she makes me promise to share her with Daddy and Daniel, she smile and snuggles in a little closer, thinking about her story.

Last night I told her the story again.  She relished each word and lay in silence for a few minutes after I was done.  Then she threw her arms open and yelled towards the ceiling, "THANK YOU GOD!" I asked what she was thanking God for.  Very matter of factly she replied, "For giving me such a good mommy and daddy."  

And just like that, she snuggled in, popped her thumb back in her mouth and fell asleep while mumbling something sweet about loving us and her heart being happy.

I know the tough questions are coming, and we are ready for them.  But for tonight, just the fact that God made us for each other is enough for her.  I know it is for me.     

No comments: