12.25.2011

Christmas, With Attitude

I may have set her up.  I know how sassy she gets when she's tired.  I know how the attitude increases exponentially in direct proportion to the number of minutes of sleep she does NOT get.

And yet I allowed a 20 minute nap on Christmas Eve.

Hold that thought while I write this down in my "do not repeat" book of parenting tricks.

Part of it wasn't my fault entirely.  We had just taken her crib door/gate off in transition to a big girl bed and Violet hasn't quite figured out how to negotiate that newfound freedom.  (Read: I found her in bed with a puzzle.)  But let's not kid ourselves... it's always the parents' fault.

And I reaped what I sowed:  She was borderline non-functional as I woke her up on Christmas Eve.  Sadly, I had no choice - we had to work all three services at church.  Violet was inconsolable all evening, and at our family dinner was kind of zombie-esque.  She opened her Christmas Eve present (always new pajamas) and while Daniel ran around the room whooping and hollering in excitement over his new pjs, she raised one eyebrow slowly and said under her breath, "This is NOT a sucker".

She slept hard that night, but never really shook the sass on Christmas Day.  We had a great day resplendent with food, family and lots of gifts, but little lady would have had a much better day with more sleep the day before.  Duly noted.


And just in case this photo looks like a joyful, sweet moment, it wasn't.  She refused to look at the camera or give me any kind of smile, and instead (with loads of sass), smiled only for the ceiling.  

No comments: