12.17.2011

Protective Yarn Extensions

This is a style I have been excited about for months, after first reading about them on Chocolate Hair Vanilla Care.  Here's the gist:  The addition of acrylic yarn to each twist adds thickness and protection, allowing for the ends to be totally protected and the style to stay in place for (potentially) weeks.


Violet was a champ, as usual.  This style took us two days:  5 hours on Friday and 3 on Saturday morning.  Violet was so excited for rainbow beads that she climbed into her high chair herself (I still don't know how) and lined up her movie selections on the tray in front of her, announcing that she was ready for hair day.  She sat stock still for the full five hours, and I ended up calling it a day to give my arms/back/feet/fingers a rest.  

The second day shouldn't have taken 3 hours, but I underestimated the time beading would take - the yarn made the strands extra thick, and my little plastic beader just about couldn't take it.  It's ok though... I thoroughly enjoyed every minute of those 8 hours with Violet.  We watched just about every Christmas movie in the house.  


Believe it or not, the twists are only a little bit longer than Violet's hair.  I just wanted her hair totally protected for a few weeks (and in a style I wouldn't have to mess with over Christmas weekend).  It was great parting practice, too.  


My favorite part about this style:  The versatility.  I LOVE that now I can do a pony tail, two pig tails, half up/half down, etc etc etc.  The options are endless.  My least favorite part:  How much older she looks.  Just an inch or two more of length adds YEARS in my opinion.  I initially did the twists much longer and it was crazy how much older she looked.  I beaded and shortened a bunch, tying knots in each twist just past her natural length.  (The pig tails help her look her age, I think.  Love this look on her.)  

 

Violet's favorite part:  The beads.  She loves the sound, and loves turning her head back and forth.  She loves the colors, and showing everyone we meet her "rainbow beads".  


We'll see how long they last.  On older girls, they can last up to a month.  Violet is still two, and pretty rough on her hair.  It's also my first time, so I'm anticipating yarn slipping out or any number of issues related to my "still learning" status.  I'll be impressed if we get a solid two weeks out of them!
 

No comments: