At the time I thought it was quirky in a cute way, but then I realized - Violet's closet does tell a lot about her. The shoes she wore when we met... the cowboy hat that's ready for her first Texas visit... and the billion delicate items hanging on little pink hangers, each telling their own piece of her story.
So here's a handful of "What Violet's Wearing" and the fragment of her life it represents!
1. Forest Green flowered dress. On sale at Gymboree... I couldn't resist. Love her in dark colors.
2. Layered Aqua/Green dress. One of the first things we bought her, and my reigning favorite item in her closet. It just suits her.
3. Green dress with white polka dots. A gift from Gramma... and it looks amazing with yellow leggings and headband.
4. Brown and white cloth onesie... it's from a friend with a daughter... and heading for another friend with a daughter... but right now Violet's the only one that it fits! And it looks amazing on her.
5. Lavender dress. A gift from a friend (thanks Erin!) and it suits her so well. The color, the fit, the comfort.
6. Two shirts: Light and dark blue. These are from the clearance rack at Old Navy (I think they were $2 each) and they sum up Violet's "look" perfectly - stylish but vintage. When she wears these I actually envy her!
7. Off white ruffled shirt. Thank you Target. This was neither on sale nor a gift... I was weak. However, this is her "most often worn" right now. She gets compliments constantly in it and it's the perfect length to play/crawl/rough-house in.
8. Chocolate onesie with flowers. This flatters her coloring better than any other outfit - we have so many photos in this. Thanks, Gramma & Tex - it's perfection. (I have actually gotten comments from African-American women while she's wearing this thanking me for putting her in clothing that suits her skin!)
9. Gold fabric at the bottom - this is actually a double-sided frock from a boutique in New York from a good friend (thanks, Letia!) It looks amazing on Violet - and I LOVE that NYC is represented in her closet!
10. Flowered tops - the purple and brown ones - we bought these for the trip to Ethiopia, and she wore them often during those first few days. They are great play clothes... and she seems extremely comfortable in them (maybe she remembers?).
11. Pale blue dress - a gift from Emma (and her mom :) and worn for Violet's baby dedication. It's flowy, sweet, ruffley and in all ways perfect.
12. Lime green dress - another clearance rack treasure - but this was used for one of Violet's first "at home photo shoots" for "formal" photos to send to Ethiopia during post-adoption reports. She looks amazing in intense colors!
13. Pink tutu. Ah yes... the forever "eat my words" piece of clothing that I just adore. She wore this in her 1st year photos. Thanks, Garlands!
Anyway. Lots more, but those are a few of the current favorites! For being so tiny, that girl has a very serious closet.