5.20.2010

Sun + Chlorine = Happiness

I love Summer. I'm probably only saying that because it's early Summer and we haven't really hit triple digits yet. Nevertheless, I'm loving the sun... the warm winds... the shorts... and even the chlorine.

Violet is a water rat (like the rest of us Amaros) and has taken to the water immediately. I put coconut oil in her hair the night before so her hair soaks it in - preventing the chlorinated water from doing it's damage. As an added pro, she also smells amazing while swimming, splashing, blowing bubbles and impressively enough, happily going underwater.

The first time we all went swimming she floated contentedly in a big tandem tube. She also loves splashing like a mad woman in the kiddy pools we have in our backyard and at Mema & Papa's house. It's fun to watch her and Daniel interact in that setting - typically he is playing a well organized game of pouring water from one cup to the next while Violet is splashing half the water out of the pool.


Today we went to swim at the Marriott in Desert Ridge with some visiting friends. The pools are huge, fabulous and plentiful and both kids had a blast. Daniel worked on his swimming skills with Ms. Jeanetta (who is also a swim teacher) and while his focus didn't last long, as soon as the official instruction ended, he began kicking like a pro and even sticking his head underwater to show us his bubble-blowing skills. (Ms. Jeanetta said, "Daniel! You've been holding out on me!")


Violet clung to my neck for hours, snuggling in the sun and attracting the "oohs" and "aahs" of everyone at the resort. I so enjoyed holding her that closely for that long - and the skin contact is always a bonus. Did I mention I love swimming with her? I do - so much. Partly because it's one of the only times she actively clings to me - normally she rides passively in the sling, leaning on me, or just allows me to carry her without "holding" me. But in the pool she's happy as a clam but still keeps her arms and legs wrapped around me firmly. It's like a two hour long hug from her. (Did I mention that I love it? :)


Mr. Sid took photos for us from a distance, capturing some of the fun moments of the day. We swam from 10-1, and then shared a grilled cheese sandwich for lunch. By the time I got home at 2:30, I had two soundly sleeping kiddos in the backseat (which is the first time Violet has slept in a car seat - ever!).


Tonight we return to the chlorine with an evening swim at Mema & Papa's house, celebrating the launch of TK's 7 week missions trip overseas and Quito's recent engagement!

So much to be thankful for... the least of which is a string of beautiful, sunny, happy days.

1 comment:

Ginger said...

The very last shot of you in sunglasses, Daniel chatting over your shoulder = "Celebrities are just like us. They take their kids to the pool." Glam mommy.