5.05.2010

Her Soundtrack

And I don't mean some epic collection of music that accompanies her life or even the trip from Ethiopia to the States... that's my husband's area of expertise and undoubtedly he has a killer line up of (much cooler) songs ready to accompany his video documentary of the experience.

I am referring to the soundtrack of songs I sing to her as I rock her to sleep. And believe me, they are far less epic.

What comes out of you during a midnight rocking session is not what you are currently listening to. Anyone who currently rocks a baby to sleep will understand me on this: What comes out of your mouth is what you know so well you could sing in your sleep (because sometimes, you are). It's the stuff that you grew up with... or the stuff you sang so many times in college that the lyrics are burned behind your eyeballs.

For me, that's a few things... 1) Broadway Musicals... 2) Christian Rock from the late 90s... and 3) The Oak Ridge Boys. (That's not everything I grew up with... but for whatever reason, it's what's been coming out of my brain lately).

Also... I have been singing lots of old Baptist hymns my mom sang to me growing up. Funny how when you're sung to as a child, those songs NEVER leave you. (Thanks, Mom. I cherish those memories!)

Specifics? Ok, let's see...

1) Broadway. My brain jumps around a lot on these, but has really settled on some standards: Music Man (Lyda Rose Medley; Goodnight my Someone), Sound of Music (Something Good; Edelweiss), and sometimes a stray melody from Phantom, Miss Saigon, RENT or Hello Dolly.

2) Christian Rock. Lots to pick from here as a lot of beautiful love songs to God can double lyrically as love songs to your spouse or child. But I have been singing Third Day's first stuff: "Just To Be With You" (and occasionally "Consuming Fire" in really soothing tones)... Some Bebo from his first album (love me some "A Page Is Turned" as a lullaby)... and Occasionally some Chris Rice - nice mellow stuff.

3) The Oaks. And this is truly what this entire post is about. No group has been such a part of my childhood and even adulthood as the Oak Ridge Boys. Mock me if you must... but I adore them. My parents brought us to their concert every year - we knew their names, histories, and every word of every song. And most of the harmonies, which is impressive. Their music became ingrained in our family identity. During college (and my gig working at a radio station) my sister and I spent the day with the band as they came to town to do a relief concert in the wake of a tornado. It was magical to meet the heroes we had adored for so long - they did not disappoint - as musicians or as kind, funny human beings. I sing "Dream On" to Violet at least three times a day... and each time, I become the 8 year old who laid in bed at night listening to it on repeat. (Although back then it was cassette tapes... so I had to get out of bed to rewind each time. But I digress.) I keep drafting a "thank you" letter in my brain to the group and imagine that I will probably write one.


All of this is just a constant reminder that what I expose my kids to now will dramatically affect what they enjoy later.

And it all starts during those beautiful naptime rockings.

No comments: