5.09.2010

Mother of All Mother's Day

It really was the best Mother's Day ever.

The three of us attended a brunch at Daniel's preschool the Friday before Mother's Day, and spent time with good friends and good food (read: cream puffs!). I had my first "me and my two kids" photo taken by a friend - it's funny how normal that already feels.

(At the brunch I also got my first two questions about Violet's race - from toddlers. It was precious. One girl asked who's Mommy I was, staring at the 2 kids with me who look nothing like me. Another stroked Violet's face sweetly and said, "Ms. Carrie - I think she's black! Is she black?" Their innocence was beautiful.)

Saturday was Violet's birthday and it kind of felt like we started the party on Friday and didn't really stop until Monday - I love "cluster" family events like this. Such a great excuse for celebrations that last for days.

Sunday morning, I woke to sweet surprises from my husband (who is so thoughtful and tender in his gift-giving. I found three little pots, each with different plant seeds inside and a green paint thumbprint of the person who gave me the pot - Fernando, Daniel and Violet. I then found a beautiful new Keurig Coffee Maker on the kitchen counter - love it!


We went to Radiant where Daniel joined us on stage for Violet's dedication. Waiting in the Family Room before the ceremony, I was surprised at how emotional I felt. I cried tears of joy during a familiar song - "Bigger Than My Imagination" - I feel undeserving of the blessings in my life right now. My heart really is overflowing. It was so special to stand on stage together, publicly, as a family of four committed to learning together and growing together. And when Pastor Lee prayed for Violet, "who came all the way from Ethiopia", the sanctuary erupted in loud cheers and clapping (over 1,000 people!). Our church family has been more than supportive, to say the very, very least.


After church (and naps) we headed to Mema & Papa's house where we officially welcomed Summer with the first swim of the season. Violet wore her brand new teeny weeny yellow polka dot... full piece bathing suit. (I'm fairly sure I'm not the mom who will ever put her baby in a two piece.) Her matching hat stole the show and she had a blast in the little pool and the big pool, in spite of what felt like sub zero water temperatures. Violet was given her first pinata (made by Mami, of course!) and we took an obligatory silly family photo to celebrate the big weekend.


The weekend was busy and full... full of family, full of memories, full of special moments...


I have been a Mom for multiple Mother's Days. But this year, honestly, it has never meant so much. And it's not just about Violet... it's about coming to a different place with my identity as a mom. Growing into the role, I guess. Delighting in it in a new way - maybe even growing up a little.

Whatever happened, I have never been happier!

1 comment:

Tasha said...

I think more joy is added to each Mother's day as the years go by. :) (That's my experience at least) I appreciate the mother I am becoming and the wonderful family that I have. So glad to hear you had such an amazing weekend!