6.08.2010

Gramma's First Visit



Last week, my mom met my daughter for the first time. It's a special place to be - in the middle of three generations. I knew it would be amazing, but it exceeded my expectations: They absolutely fell in love.

My fears of "attachment confusion" were eased instantly. Violet took right to my mom - she let her hold her, play with her and was perfectly content to spend time with just her. But there was no question as to who her mom was - she preferred me in any circumstance and easily recognized me as her "mama".

Mom couldn't stop staring at Violet - I think she complimented her approximately every thirty seconds. I loved to watch how easy their relationship was - as if Violet had always been in our home. And I especially love that Mom was able to be a part of this stage of her development - starting to walk, splashing in the pool, learning words (even "Ga Ga" for Gramma!).


We went all over town during her week here. We hit two different malls, a new aquarium, a couple of restaurants, a big splash pad at a local park, and even a church event. We sewed headbands for Violet and introduced her to my childhood staple: An Orange Julius. We had friends over and spent time with our Arizona family. It was a full, busy, productive, relaxing, wonderful week.


Saying "goodbye" is never easy - but it helps to know we'll be seeing Gramma (and the rest of the Texas gang!) in less than two months. At which time the REST of my family can fall in love with Violet. I cannot wait!

No comments: