6.30.2010

Blue Snack

Anyone who has ever parented a child with a gift for getting into messy things understands "the absence of noise". It's the sound that immediately precedes the impending disaster.

This morning, Fernando and I heard "the absence of noise". Sure enough, seconds later, Violet comes toddling around the couch with a big BLUE smile (which perfectly matched her blue face, teeth, tongue, hands and shirt). It took about 2.5 seconds to register what had happened. She had found the box of finger paints and figured out how to unscrew the cap. (Might I add that Daniel has played with these paints for years, stacking the bottles... making lines out of the bottles... sorting the bottles by color... without ever even WANTING to take those little lids off.)

But I digress. Fernando grabbed her and headed for the sink and I tended to our newly blue carpet. Everyone (and everything) previously blue turned back to it's normal shade quickly - thanks to water-dissolvant paint. It's like the paint makers already knew about Violet when they made this paint. They knew.

And may I also point out that I didn't photograph my child while she was blue. I consider this a fairly big step forward in my "learning to balance being a parent and a photographer" process. (I am embarrassed to say that I have a photo of an 11-month old Daniel AS his face crumbles AS his little fingers touch a blazing hot lightbulb.)

There are perks to being child #2.

2 comments:

Letia said...

I remember that photo of Daniel!

theamaros said...

Ha! I looked back... Letia, you actually commented on that post too:

http://allfordaniel.blogspot.com/2008/01/month-11-lightbulbs-and-little-fingers.html

Too funny.