11.05.2011

Confession

I'm usually a strict mom.  But I break a few of my own rules on a regular basis.

Like... bedtimes are VERY fluid in our house.  This is a bad thing, I know.  I can't help it.

And after raising one "Babywise" kiddo, I have become the sucker who rocks/lays with each of my kids as they go to sleep.  I make no apologies for that one - I wouldn't trade those minutes for the world.

But the one I have noticed lately is a strange one for me, because it's technically unsafe (and typically I don't mess around with safety):


I let my kids sit on the counters.

In fact, I find myself using it strategically.  In this photo, I needed to get a wipe for Violet's runny nose and we were about to head out the door so I didn't want her to run off and play.  (Then I took the time to snap a photo with my phone, so that makes it worse, I guess!)

But when they are cooking with me, it's just easier to have them up there where they can watch everything.  When I'm doing anything in the kitchen actually, and they just want to hang out, I let them.  We're face to face this way - just feels better.  And if I need/want a quick photo of them together, the counter is perfect:  They can't run from the camera.  Feet washing at the end of the day happens on the bathroom sink counter, as does teeth-brushing.

So.  There's my confession.  But honestly it's not something I plan on changing anytime soon.

I just hope that when I hollar, "Stay there a minute and don't fall!" they'll take me seriously.  Because a big fall would ruin ALL the fun.  

No comments: