10.28.2011

Kinda Mohawk-ish

It's Halloween this week, which presents a few unique challenges.  Violet's costume is an ice-cream cone - her face pops out the front (so her entire head is inside of the costume).  Hello friction and hair damage.

SO.  Our options are to wear the sleep cap inside the costume (which we still might do) or to do a very protective style (which we definitely did).  

After our bath/detangle, we got cozy with snacks, blankets and a movie (Ponyo!)... and kind of just started playing.  It was GOING to be a combo of flat and free rope twists but as always, it evolved.


The final product?  Flat rope twists up both sides of the head, culminating in a mohawk of twists.  At first,  we bunched them together by color group and put them in mini-pony tails, but then I changed my mind and did one big cornrow of the twists to provide a more uniform profile view of the mohawk itself.  (Before on the left, After on the right).  


There are three twists in each "row" - one from each side and one from the center "column".  The next time I do this, I will just skip the center column and have each side meet in the middle.  But like I said, this evolved, so it wasn't completely thought out beforehand.

I left some of her bangs free... it just suits her.  And makes the style look more 'little girl' and less 'punk rocker' although I love the combo of both.  (I keep changing her bangs... love them down, but also love them rolled backwards and pinned with bobby pins.)  




After we were done, Daniel had pulled out some band toys and Violet grabbed the mic and sang her little heart out (to her own made up song consisting of the word "pinnochio" at high volume levels...).  


I love my kids.  

No comments: