10.04.2011

Bead Crazy



This week's style (as most seem to be) wasn't exactly what I had planned.  I knew I wanted something protective, but honestly I had bantu knots on the brain.  Those may still happen, but for the purpose of lasting all week, they just didn't seem to be the most practical.

Like always, she had a bath/shampoo/conditioner/detangle first.  Then we transitioned into lunch/coconut oil/parting time.  I started with squares and did three rows of those along the bottom, and started twisting as I went.  I used Jelly Creme and Madagascar Vanilla Creme on each twist and finally tried out a fabulous new trick that a friend mentioned months ago:  Do the first few stitches of each twist as a braid and it will hold better.  (It works!)


After nap we finished the top of her head, and that's where the part lines got all crazy.  I had planned a series of short, flat twists on top that didn't make sense once I got to that part. So, we improvised and finished her head in rope twists, with two sideways flat ones as bangs.  

She sat like an angel for me kept reaching up to gently feel the twists and beads.  And as soon as she knew I was done, she started shaking her head like crazy - she LOVES the sound and feel of those beads.



We went to our usual "inspect our work" spot in the bathroom and she and I both admired the new look.  I can tell when she feels pretty.  And she does today.


Funny side note:  That night she had a low grade fever, so I gave her some Tylenol.  After she drank her medicine, she patted her throat and said, "Medicine goes in my mouth, my throat, my heart, my belly, my hair, my beads and helps my whole body feel better!"  I guess beads are a body part now... that didn't take long!

2 comments:

Jean said...

I am LOVING all of V's different styles! I will definitely have to get more brave with what I try! My daughter is just a few months older than V. And is also from ET. I can't wait to try new styles,after going through your blog!!

Carrie Fay said...

Hey Jean :) Just saw this now. We have a BUNCH of brand new styles to post on the blog (I'm sooooo behind). I totally agree with you - seeing other people's work is inspiring and gives lots of ideas. Follow me on facebook - I post most often about her hair there! (Carrie Fay Amaro)