6.22.2011

New Hair Adventures

Lots of fun developments in Violet's hair world, mainly that she has started doing MINE! Whenever she has the chance, she has me sit in front of her while she perches on the couch, and she just goes to town on my poor head. It's actually pretty fun, and a great lesson in what I'm teaching her inadvertently. She's very patient with my attempts in styling her hair, so turnabout's fair play, right!?

Other developments:

1) We are trying new styles! Getting brave. The most recent have both involved bantu knots, which just seems to suit Violet's personality AND Mommy's slowly budding styling abilities (read: they are easy to do). One style involved 5 knots on her head, and the other involved a series of flat twists and knots. Which brings me to my next point...

2) Parting. It might sound easy, but it's not. (I almost wrote, "but it's knot!" Ha!) Her hair is so tightly coiled that it takes effort to get a straight line, and my old plastic comb just wasn't doing the trick. I picked up a metal pin tail comb at Sally's and have been practicing with more success. The other night I started parting just for the sake of practice and wound up with a new style involving 8 parts, and a giant "x" of flat twists over her head. It was a lot of fun, actually.

3) I have been bitten by the accessory bug, apparently, because I have ordered a bunch of clips/beads/snaps for Violet's hair. My site of choice was www.snapaholics.com ... and they are very inexpensive. Which is wonderful and bad all at the same time, as it will make me want to order more. I tried out a few little heart snaps on Violet and just fell in love. I can't wait to do a whole head of small twists... and tiny hearts.

4) Last but (unfortunately) not least: BREAKAGE. I knew this was part of toddler hair, and especially for delicate hair like Violet's, but I had managed not to see any crazy breakage until a few days ago. I had put up her hair into messy twists for nap time and it revealed a big chunk on the back of her head. Short, brittle hair instead of long, soft curls. My favorite hair blogger (Katie!) had just posted a series on this very topic, so my panic subsided quickly and I formed a plan: Time to order satin crib sheets and sleep caps. I am overdue in doing so. I'm also realizing that until naps/car seats are out of the picture (and rolling around on the floor when she's tired) back of the head breakage and wear-n-tear will just be a fact of life. We'll use it as a learning process and do our best to keep the damage to a minimum!

Never a dull moment with Ms. V's hair... and I wouldn't have it any other way. Sometimes I find myself feeling sad for parents with straight-hair-kids because of all the fun they are missing!


No comments: