3.18.2011

Honorary Irish

Between the four of us, we represent quite a few countries... mostly from my side. I mean, Violet is Ethiopian, Fernando is Mexican (his clan traces back to Spain, actually) and Daniel is half Mexican, and half me. And I'm a mess.

My folks used to call our side of the family tree a "Heinz 57" in reference to the number of countries in our blood. It's pretty much the whole of Europe with a little Native American (1/64 Cherokee, to be exact... not that I'm counting.)

Mostly, I claim Irish and English. But today isn't Queen Elizabeth Day... it's St. Patrick's Day. So today, I claim Irish.

Daniel is Irish too, and we'll just let Fernando and Violet in on the green ticket on an honorary basis.

Violet started off her first St. Patrick's Day with some shamrock socks, a green shirt and a green headband. We got all green-ed up, and took a few quick photos in front of our green door. (Nice, I know). Our mantra for the day was: "Kiss us, half of us are Irish."

I happened to attend the world's greatest Elementary School: Ogden Elementary, in LaGrange IL. And every St. Patrick's Day, the fine folks in the cafeteria whipped up some green buttered bagels and came room to room to pass out the treats.

I spent the entire day craving bagels and admiring how beautiful my family looks in green.

No comments: