10.08.2010

Holy Vocabulary

Violet is on some kind of crazy turbo-language-acquisition jag. That little lady repeats EVERYTHING and retains most of it.

She knows nearly 10 animal noises (the tiger and monkey are her best, in my opinion)... Knows the names of the whole family... can ask for food/toys/etc by name... knows most of the basic body parts, has learned a bunch of new verbs... it just doesn't end. I'm newly amazed each minute I spend with her.

My favorite part of her recent new skills is this: She could not say "Daniel" until tonight. For the past week, she's been calling him "Ah-to-boy". Daniel is going on his fourth week of pretending to be Astroboy and apparently it's worn off on Violet. I don't know which is funnier - that she thinks that's his name or that my 17 month old can say "Astroboy".


I haven't yet tried to create a list of the words she now knows, so here we go:

Outside, Violet (ya-ya), Dada, Mama, Up, Down, Hair, Teeth, Mouth, Ears, Eyes, Nose, Bootie (Boobie :), Tummy, Milk, Agua, Amen, Baby, Teddy, Pee-Pee, Thank You, More, Again, Please, Walk, Bounce, Dance, Pound (for "Give Me Pound!"), Shoes, Feet, Kitty-Cat, Clean, Eat, Emma, Happy, Hi, Bye-Bye, Banana (Nana), Apple, Cheese, Duck, Night-Night (Ni-Ni), High-Five (Hi-Fi), Bubble, Book, Astroboy... and I know there are more. But for now, that's 45 words for a girl that said only 1 just six months ago (exactly six months ago today, actually).

She also still responds to her three names... Violet, Mari and Maramawit. She tries to say all of them, and seems to know they all belong to her.

In one of the most beautiful moments she and I have shared yet, I called her "beautiful baby" in her native language while rocking her to sleep. With great interest and concentration, she imitated the words as I kept repeating the phrase. The irony and beauty of ME teaching HER her native language was not lost on me.

Violet is blossoming before our eyes - hearing the voice that goes with the spark and life is beyond gratifying. And the more we hear that sweet little voice, the more we want to hear it.

1 comment:

Tasha said...

That is so wonderful! Go Violet!