4.01.2011

Daddy-O & Mommy

I fully realize that to most of the world, Violet's speech may not seem super impressive. For one thing, she's really quiet (aka totally silent) until she gets comfortable, which can take a while. And once she does start talking, she usually sounds like she's just babbling.

But she's not. As we learn her little voice better and better, we're realizing that those babbling strings are actually sentences in English - sentences that are getting clearer each day. It's been so fun this week to hear new things out of her sweet little mouth. Here are a few of my favorites that I noticed just today...

"Where Daddy-o? At work? No... at home!"
"Love you too, Mommy"
"Why baby cry? Baby sad because he want Mommy"
"Nano made bad choice... got swat... now it all better"
"Ready? Ready? Ok Mommy!"
"Popcorn Mommy Happy!"
"No thank you Mommy"
"Excuse me Mommy" (when she is interrupting us)
"I hungry (hungy)... snack please"
"Pleasy-Please sit on lap?"
"I make mess!" (spilling water)
"Mommy, look at me!"
"Bless you, Mommy!" (after every sneeze!)

She tacks our name onto everything, and there's nothing sweeter than hearing her use the word Mommy. Especially after "love you too". :) She uses Daddy-O as her main name for Fernando (which may be my fault... but I love it!).

She still babbles a million miles a minute at home, and she says a whole stinking lot more than what I listed above. But it's still an insanely cool experience to get to watch this language develop in a completely new way than I have seen before. It's like entire chunks are appearing instead of the typical steady slow acquisition. She continues to be complimented everywhere she goes, for both her beauty/cuteness and her intelligence. I was stopped twice in the hallway last week at her preschool by random teachers who just had to tell me that Violet is "very, very bright" and "extremely advanced for her age" (as if I wasn't aware!)

She is such a source of pride and joy for us, and this whole adoption journey truly continues to exceed every expectation we had. Prepared to handle developmental delays and speech issues, we are daily blown out of the water by Violet's intelligence and mad verbal skills.

Little lady is a genius.