3.31.2010

Pink Pink Pink

Today the world smelled like flowers. Partly because that is just what happens in Phoenix every year about this time, but mostly because I am about to have a daughter. Everything is different now.

Tonight I bought a shopping cart full of tiny, flowered, pink, purple, polka dotted, ruffled outfits for a tiny, sweet little girl. I brought a measuring tape, to compare the agency's measurements with actual clothing... turns out she's smaller than I was imagining. 16 pounds, 26 inches tall, 4.5 inch feet.

My heart kept racing. Throughout today and this evening it has sunk in even more: This is real. At this time next week, we'll be waking up together in Ethiopia, on our second day of having known each other. I wonder what we'll look like to her... smell like... I wonder if even on the second day there will be more familiarity and comfort than on day one. I wonder how she'll look at us.

And I wonder how we're going to get all those clothes to fit in her closet.

1 comment:

Tasha said...

They'll fit in there for sure. And, she will love you guys. She may be apprehensive at first, but she already loves you. She may not know it yet, but she does. I can sense it. Trust me, I know these things. :)