1.25.2012

Woody is the Lamp

Violet loves music.  Always has, (hopefully) always will.  It's a constant presence in our home, through background music, frequent family dance parties, nighttime songs, and musical instruments.

So when Fernando ended up playing in our church's worship band for the weekend, I seized the opportunity and snuck Violet in for a few songs.  It's a huge room, with a loud band - too overwhelming for Daniel ("I would like to LEAVE, Mommy!") but when I took Violet in, she was immediately entranced.

Seeing Daddy on the big screens and on stage was a thrill for her, but so was the intensity of the music surrounding her.  During the slowest song ("Your Great Name"), I held her close, and worshipped with my hand raised.  I explained that sometimes I like to lift my hand up to say "I love you!" to Jesus, and she immediately squealed with joy and stuck her hand up high for the rest of the song.  In and of itself, it was a beautiful moment.  And maybe the reason she fell in love with the song.

Because for the days that followed, it was her only request.  "Can we sing the worthy song?"  Over and over.  She sang along, always with her hand up, eyes squeezed tightly shut.

Jesus, worthy is the Lamb
Who was slain for us
Son of God and man
You are high and lifted up 
And all the world will know
Your great name

After one particularly sweet bedtime rendition, I wondered if it was rote repetition or if she actually knew what she was saying.

So I said, "Honey, do you know who 'the lamb' is?"  She said, "Woody".

Confused, I said, "No honey, the lamb is Jesus."

Suddenly concerned, she sat up straight in my lap and said, "But what happened to Woody?  Woody the lamp?"

And then I realized.  "Woody is the lamp who was slain for us."

Fernando thought it was so entertaining, he illustrated it.  

Needless to say, we are STILL laughing about this.


No comments: